Thursday, August 31, 2017

Broken

When Andrew was first admitted on August 11th, the doctors thought that part of the problem may be his school placement. That he couldn't function in a SED (Social Emotional Disorders) setting but also couldn't function in a typical classroom with noise and chaos. I, for one, grabbed on to that and held hard - I thought - that's it - that is what will fix my child - proper placement and a revamp of his medications. Then he would be fine - no problems, no anger, no suicide threats - just snips and snails and puppy dog tails. Our world would be right. It hasn't been right in a very long time.

He made friends - he made progress - each medication removed and added held promise - we held our breath. We've been holding our breath for a very long time.

The last weekend was rough but Monday and Tuesday - he had two great days and nights. Then as the gods got wind of our happiness - he had a horrific incident on Wednesday, where he almost kicked a child in the head - thank God the staff stopped him. He was held and fought back with the staff. Last night was rough - because he was agitated and I tried my best to stay the course - I remained calmed and used all the words and behavior I was taught over the last month - while I died a little more inside. 

He must show safe behaviors for two days before being allowed back in with his peers in the day treatment program at the hospital. When he heard that plan this morning, he became enraged and tried to turn over the table - ran out of the room, grabbed a laundry cart and started propelling it and him up and down the halls of the unit. A staff member grabbed the cart - and Andrew made a fist but didn't hit her - and I died a little more inside.

I know we have a long road - I am trying to hold onto hope but there is a little part of me that fears my broken child cannot be fixed.




11 comments:

  1. Coming from a different angle of "broken child" but I can completely sympathize. Hold onto hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry. Wish your entire family well in a really painful, difficult situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there Jenny , you have to be the rock , don't give up hope .
    Praying for all of you

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and Jim are the BEST parents Andrew could ever have.♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and Andrew are in my thoughts daily. ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. <3 I have no advice, but I wanted you to know that I'm listening. It is so hard when we can't just fix things. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am listening. Just being here. Feeling your pain , Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey sweetie, I am glad that you gave an update. I am sorry that there was a glitch. I know that you guys are tired. Just stopping here to send all my love and hope and thoughts. xx Janis

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love you so much sweetie. You are the strongest woman I know. Love you love you love you

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I could hug you or do something to comfort you from afar. So just know that we are sending hugs and prayers for all. It's hard but I think it's harder for a parent to completely give up hope even when we think there is none left. No one knows for sure so never give up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Courage. You have strength...I know you do. xoxoxo S

    ReplyDelete